The purpose of this COVID-19 Tip Sheet is to share the CDC’s ICD-10-CM coding guidance for encounters related to the 2019 novel coronavirus (“COVID-19”). This guidance is to be used in conjunction with the current ICD-10-CM guidelines and is valid beginning April 1, 2020 through September 30, 2020.
- U07.1 – COVID-19
General ICD-10-CM Coding Guidance
Code Only Confirmed Cases
- ICD-10-CM code U07.1 should only be assigned to patient’s that have documentation of a positive COVID-19 test result, or a presumptive positive COVID-19 test result.
- If documentation states “suspected”, “possible”, “probable”, or “inconclusive” COVID-19, it is suggested to not assign code U07.1.
- In these cases, the ICD-10-CM code assigned will be the signs or symptoms that are documented as the reason for the visit.
- Assign ICD-10-CM code Z20.828 for patient’s that are documented as having been in contact with or have suspected exposure to COVID-19.
- When screening patient’s without signs/symptoms or known exposure to COVID-19, assign ICD-10-CM Z11.59, screening for other viral diseases.
- U07.1 may be assigned as the first listed or primary or principal diagnosis for the visit.
ICD-10-CM Coding for Acute Respiratory Illness Due to COVID-19
Pneumonia due to COVID-19
- J12.89 – Other Viral Pneumonia
- J20.8 – Acute Bronchitis Due to Other Specified Organism; or,
- J40 – Bronchitis, Not Specified as Acute or Chronic
Lower Respiratory Infection
- J22 – Unspecified Acute Lower Respiratory Infection; or,
- J98.8 – Other Specified Respiratory Disorder (When Documentation Does Not Specify Acute or Other Type of Respiratory Infection
Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- J80 – Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome